(Seattle, WA) — Today, local and national pro-choice leaders and groups released statements responding to Republicans’ newly-introduced national abortion ban, making it clear that Washington voters cannot trust MAGA Republican Tiffany Smiley when it comes to upholding the right to choose.
The new legislation, which Republicans have made clear they would bring to the floor if they regain the majority, would ban abortion nationwide — including in states like Washington — and impose criminal penalties including fines and up to five years in prison on Americans who violate the law. No matter how you look at it, Tiffany Smiley would hand control of the Senate to Republicans who want to pass a national abortion ban, imperiling reproductive rights for millions of women, including in Washington state.
“Tiffany Smiley is acting like Washington voters have nothing to worry about when it comes to abortion — and nothing could be further from the truth,” said Jennifer M. Allen, President and Chief Executive Officer of Planned Parenthood Alliance Advocates. “She’ll say whatever it takes to get elected, but the bottom line is that she supported the extreme Texas abortion ban and has told her supporters she’s ‘100 percent pro-life’ and would be a ‘rock-solid conservative vote’ in the U.S. Senate. Voters need to know that the issue of abortion is far from settled — even in Washington, and especially not if Tiffany Smiley gets elected to the U.S. Senate.”
“Republican politicians have made clear that they want to ban all abortion, everywhere, if they take over Congress this November,” said NARAL Pro-Choice America President Mini Timmaraju. “We can’t let that happen. Sen. Murray has boldly championed our freedom and our families while serving in the Senate, and we need her there to continue fighting for us. Tiffany Smiley may be trying to obscure her hostility to abortion, but her anti-choice record speaks for itself. Smiley simply can’t be trusted to protect our fundamental rights.”
“Republicans like Tiffany Smiley may try to mislead voters about their agendas and hide their real records, but Sen. Mitch McConnell and national leaders of her party have made their goal clear: a nationwide abortion ban. The path to stopping them and protecting our freedom is equally clear: we must elect Democratic pro-choice fighters like Sen. Patty Murray and keep our majority in the Senate,” said EMILY’s List President Laphonza Butler.
“Tiffany Smiley is trying to have it both ways on abortion — and she can’t,” said Murray campaign spokesperson Naomi Savin. “No matter what she’s started saying after the primary, Smiley is running to help the same Republicans who have introduced a national abortion ban flip the Senate and take away the right to choose in every state — including in Washington. The bottom line is that no matter how hard she tries to deny it, if Tiffany Smiley is elected, she would make a national abortion ban a reality.”
BACKGROUND ON TIFFANY SMILEY’S ANTI-ABORTION RECORD:
- Tiffany Smiley is, in her own words, “100 percent pro-life.”
- At the start of her campaign, Tiffany Smiley endorsed the Texas abortion ban — one of the most extreme in the nation, with no exceptions for rape or incest — even while admitting “there’s a lot of parts of it that make it hard for me in Washington state.”
- Smiley cheered the decision that overturned Roe and allowed states to ban abortion with no exceptions
- She is raising money from, campaigning with, and collecting endorsements from anti-abortion politicians who are committed to passing a national abortion ban.
- Her first vote would be to make Mitch McConnell Senate majority leader — and Republicans have already introduced and suggested they would bring to the floor legislation to ban abortion nationwide and impose criminal penalties of up to five years in prison on Americans.