ICYMI: Murray campaign releases new ads driving stark contrast on choice
ICYMI: Planned Parenthood Action Fund President holds Seattle press conference on how Tiffany Smiley will threaten the right to choose
(Seattle, WA) — Tonight, Senator Patty Murray’s campaign released the following statement in response to new reporting that Senate Republicans, led by Senator Lindsay Graham (R-SC) will be introducing legislation this week that would ban abortion nationwide.
“Tiffany Smiley is trying to have it both ways on abortion — and she can’t,” said Murray campaign spokesperson Naomi Savin. “No matter what she’s started saying after the primary, Smiley is running to help the same Republicans who are introducing a nationwide abortion ban flip the Senate and take away the right to choose in every state — including in Washington. Tiffany Smiley supported the extreme Texas abortion ban, cheered the decision overturning Roe v. Wade, and is backed by politicians who want her in office to help them enact a national abortion ban. The bottom line is that no matter how hard she tries to deny it, if Tiffany Smiley is elected, she would make a national abortion ban a reality.”
BACKGROUND ON TIFFANY SMILEY’S ANTI-ABORTION RECORD:
- Tiffany Smiley is, in her own words, “100 percent pro-life.”
- At the start of her campaign, Tiffany Smiley endorsed the Texas abortion ban — one of the most extreme in the nation, with no exceptions for rape or incest — even while admitting “there’s a lot of parts of it that make it hard for me in Washington state.”
- Smiley cheered the decision that overturned Roe and allowed states to ban abortion with no exceptions
- She is raising money from, campaigning with, and collecting endorsements from anti-abortion politicians who are committed to passing a national abortion ban.
- Her first vote would be to make Mitch McConnell Senate majority leader — and Republicans are already introducing legislation to ban abortion nationwide.